Porcelain Veneers – Procedure and Aftercare Tips
Thanks to advancements in technology, you have numerous options on treatments that help your get you rid of stained, yellow teeth. Dental veneers are a modern solution to improve the appearance of your teeth. It allows you to change the shape, color, size and length of the teeth. Dental veneers are custom designed shells that cover the tooth surface.
The porcelain material is used because of its ability to resists stains and also provides the best natural look. Veneers are for those who want a permanent solution to discolored, worn down, chipped, or misaligned teeth. They are also a good option for those who have spaces between their teeth, and don’t want to do braces.
Veneers are overall very beneficial, but the aftercare can be very tricky. If you want your porcelain dental veneers to last longer, here are some aftercare tips.
The Procedure of Porcelain Veneers
The procedure of getting porcelain veneers is not too complicated. It does require up to three visits to the dentist for a consultation, preparation, and bonding.
In the first step, the dentist will examine your teeth and plan your treatment according to what you are trying to achieve. The examination and evaluation will include X-rays and impressions of your jaw.
The second step is preparing the teeth/tooth for the veneer. The dentist will prepare the veneer according to the model of your tooth size and color, which can take up to 2-3 weeks. The tooth surface will be reshaped by trimming off the enamel to fit the thickness of the veneer.
The third step is bonding, which is when the veneer is permanently cemented to the tooth. The excess cement is brushed off and the tooth is then considered ready.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Cover Gaps, Cracks and Discoloration
Dental veneers are able to cover gaps, cracks and tooth discoloration that are visible when you smile. Dr. Joel Stokes and team at Perfect Smile will examine and determine if a patient is able to receive veneers. If the tooth is fragile your dentist may recommend a crown to restore the strength and appearance of the tooth.
- Keep Tooth Structure and Enamel
Porcelain veneers are bonded to the fronts of your teeth which require a noninvasive procedure that removes very little enamel. A dental crown has to fit over the entire tooth which requires the dentist to remove more enamel than a veneer.
- Prevent Tooth Discoloration
Veneers can protect your teeth and last up to 10 years with good oral hygiene. By eating foods that are softer or don’t stain teeth like drinking less coffee you can reduce tooth discoloration.
- Have a Perfect Smile
For the veneers process, your dentist will remove a small amount of enamel from the fronts of your teeth so there is space to bond the veneers. The next step is to take impressions of your teeth to send to a lab to create the porcelain veneers. Once the veneers are ready, you can schedule an appointment to bond the veneers.
The procedure of getting porcelain veneers is not as tough as its aftercare. Since they are made up of porcelain, they require additional care and sensitivity to ensure that they lasts you years. Here are some ways you can protect your porcelain veneers:
- Avoid food and beverages that stain your teeth. Foods such as red wine, tea, coffee, etc., are more likely to stain porcelain veneers. It’s better to avoid these foods and drinks, but if you feel it is necessary for you to consume them, you must immediately rinse your mouth and brush the veneer.
- Avoid food that is hard to chew as it could crack or chip the veneer. Since they are made up of porcelain, they could easily break or even shatter if a hard bite is made.
- Brush and floss regularly. Just like your normal teeth, your dental veneers also need to be cleaned properly. Don’t forget to brush and floss twice a day to make sure nothing gets stuck between the teeth. It will also ensure that the area around the veneer stays bacteria-free.
- Go for regular dental checks and follow-ups. Visit your dentist at least once a year to keep a check on your oral hygiene. This way, your dentist can detect problems as early as possible before they get serious.
If you are looking for the best veneers dentist in Las Vegas, then visit Perfect Smile. Our dental office provides many cosmetic dental treatments, such as veneers, teeth whitening, root canals and more.
Your bright smile is now just a click away. Visit our website and book an appointment with the best cosmetic dentist in Las Vegas today: https://perfectsmilelasvegas.com/cosmetic-dentist-in-las-vegas/